“Self-Help for Insomnia” is sponsored by Meditation for Health, a medical clinic in Toronto, Canada. We developed this self-help approach for our many patients with chronic insomnia & sleep deprivation. Our clinic encourages drug-free alternative treatment for insomnia whenever medically possible.
You can read Chapters 1-7 of Better Sleep Tips at this site. This is our clinic’s self-help workbook for people who have trouble sleeping. We hope you find these 7 pages of insomnia information useful.
You can also purchase our clinic’s sleep meditation CD at this site. If you buy the sleep meditation CD, we send you a copy of Better Sleep Tips too. This way, you can read the final chapters 8-20 to learn more about insomnia self-help, especially the simple meditation techniques that help our patients when they can’t sleep.
“Self Help for Insomnia” is an educational site about adult insomnia & sleep deprivation. This site is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment. The site provides general information that might not apply to your particular sleep problem.
If you have chronic trouble sleeping, talk to your doctor. Discuss this site’s information & CD with your doctor to decide what’s appropriate for you.
Be sure to read Chapter 2: Sleep Disorders & Other Medical Causes of Lack of Sleep.
BETTER SLEEP TIPS
A Self-Help Workbook for Insomnia & Sleep Deprivation
Chapter 1: The Self-Help Way to Find Insomnia’s Cause & Cure
Chapter 2: Sleep Disorders & Other Medical Causes of Insomnia
- your doctor’s role to diagnose your insomnia & supervise your treatment
how self-help is useful for sleep disorders
Chapter 3: Insomnia Treatment Begins with Sleep Hygiene & a Sleep Diary
- how a sleep doctor usually begins insomnia treatment
Chapter 4: Medications & Natural Sleep Aids
- medications as support for natural sleep, not a substitute
- some information about “natural” sleep aids & therapies
Chapter 5: Food & Drink that Cause Trouble Sleeping
- what you eat & drink can cause sleep problems
Chapter 6: Other Substances that Cause Sleep Problems
- various other substances linked to trouble sleeping
Chapter 7: Physical Activity for Better Sleep
- ways to increase physical activity for better sleep
Chapter 8: Where You Sleep
- how your bed and sleep environment can worsen sleep troubles
Chapter 9: Preparing for Bed
- simple ways to prepare for bed & encourage better sleep
Chapter 10: About Your Alarm Clock
- the risks of using an alarm clock, some strategies to protect sleep
Chapter 11: Stabilizing Your Sleep-Wake Cycle for Better Sleep
- simple facts about your body’s sleep-wake cycle and how to stabilize it for better sleep
Chapter 12: Shift Work & Sleep Deprivation
- self-help strategies for insomnia & sleep deprivation caused by shift work
Chapter 13: Balance in Daily Life
- how to find balance in daily life to sleep better at night
Chapter 14: The Habit of Insomnia
- the surprising role of habit in chronic insomnia
Chapter 15: Two Personality Traits Linked to Insomnia
- two common personality habits associated with sleep problems
Chapter 16: Is Something on Your Mind?
- what’s on your mind during the day can give you trouble sleeping at night... strategies for coping
Chapter 17: Common Misunderstandings about Sleep & Sleep Deprivation
- some basic facts of sleep science
Chapter 18: Reading for Peace of Mind & Better Sleep
- reading as a tool for stress relief and better sleep
Chapter 19: Meditation as Insomnia Treatment
- simple meditation techniques that encourage sleep
Chapter 20: How to Use the Guided Sleep Meditation CD
- instructions and Q&A for effective use of the self-help CD
Chapters 1 - 7 are provided here.
Chapters 8 - 20 are included with your purchase of the
Sleep Meditation CD & Workbook.